Monday, May 16, 2011

Railsbridge workshops

I've been meaning to mention for a while that earlier this month I attended a free Ruby on Rails outreach workshop for women in San Francisco, run by volunteers from the SF Ruby community and funded in part by Railsbridge.

It was well planned, informative, and (did I mention?) free. Plus, feminist! I think I may not have been in quite the right class for what I wanted to learn, but that was my fault and not theirs. I think it will be a long time before I develop any meaningful competency with Ruby on Rails, mostly because after research, teaching, and (sweet FSM) moving, I don't have a lot of time to devote to dicking around with web apps, which is really what I need if I want to learn anything. Still, I hope to try and keep up over the summer, and perhaps try to connect with the Ruby community in Atlanta as well.

I attended my last Saxon Circle meeting last week (we're still in the middle of Andreas, and as usual I have no idea what the hell is going on...God is dressed as a sailor?). It gave me a reason to reflect that, as terrible as my Old English is, it would be even worse if I hadn't been doing a tiny bit of (error-ridden) translating each month for the last eight years.

Practice, man.

Anyway, the point is: if you're a woman in the Bay Area and are interested in learning Ruby on Rails, head over to the SF Ruby group. I think I was your typical cranky, resistant student ("IT'S NOT WORKING. WHY ISN'T IT WORKING.") and they were still super great to me.

No comments: