Thursday, November 6, 2008



Children's Rhymes

When I was a chile we used to play,
"One -- two -- buckle my shoe!"
and things like that. But now, Lord,
listen at them little varmints!

     By what sends
     the white kids
     I ain't sent:
     I know I can't
     be President.


There is two thousand children
in this block, I do believe!

     What don't bug
     them white kids
     sure bugs me:
     We knows everybody
     ain't free!


Some of these young ones is cert'ly bad --
One batted a hard ball right through my window
and my gold fish et the glass.

     What's written down
     for white folks
     ain't for us a-tall:
     "Liberty And Justice --
     Huh -- For All."

     Oop-pop-a-da!
     Skee! Daddle-de-do!
     Be-bop!


Salt' peanuts!

De-dop!

          -- Langston Hughes, 1951


Hyde Park

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love that you posted the Hughes poem. Wish I had seen it in a more timely fashion-- my RSS feed isn't updating like I thought it was.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.